Prince Andrew Served With Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Filed By Virginia Giuffre

Prince Andrew Served With Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Filed By Virginia Giuffre

According to New York federal court records, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, has been served with a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by one of Jeffrey Epstein’s accusers.

Virginia Giuffre, 38, is suing Andrew in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York, alleging that the duke sexually abused her on multiple occasions between 2000 and 2002 in New York, London, and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands while she was under the age of 18.

The duke has denied having sex with Giuffre on numerous occasions, most notably in a disastrous November 2019 BBC interview in which he attempted to defend himself by claiming he had never met her. Andrew announced shortly after the interview aired that he was “stepping back” from royal public duties.

According to the affidavit of service filed Friday, a member of Andrew’s security team formally received notice of the lawsuit against him on Aug. 27 at his home, Royal Lodge on the grounds of Windsor Castle.

Cesar Augusto Sepulveda stated in the affidavit that it took him two days to deliver the documents because Andrew’s security team told him on his first attempt on Aug. 26 that they had been instructed not to accept service of any court process or “allow anyone attending there for the purpose of serving court process onto the grounds of the property.”

When Sepulveda returned the next day, he met with Andrew’s head of security, who told him he could leave the documents with one of the Royal Lodge guards, who would forward them to the duke’s legal team. The head of security refused Sepulveda’s request to serve Andrew in person.

According to the documents, the duke’s lawyer is Gary Bloxsome, a criminal defense attorney based in London. BuzzFeed News contacted Bloxsome for comment on the affidavit of service and the document’s claim that his security team was not supposed to receive court documents. He didn’t say anything.

In a letter obtained by ABC News, Bloxsome reportedly questioned the legality of the service and called Giuffre’s legal team’s actions “regrettable” Bloxsome claimed in the document, which ABC News said was sent to British judicial official senior master Barbara Fontaine on Sept. 6, that the manner in which the lawsuit was served rendered the service invalid under British law.

“Absent being satisfied of some very good reason to do so, our client is highly unlikely to be prepared to agree to any form of alternative service while the approach to service of these proceedings remains irregular and the viability of the claim remains open to doubt,” Bloxsome reportedly wrote.

On Monday, the first pretrial conference will be held virtually over the phone. It is unclear whether Andrew’s lawyers will participate at all, as no documents in his defense have been filed in federal court.

Giuffre was one of many women who accused Andrew’s longtime associate, Epstein, of sexually abusing minors.

On August 10, 2019, Epstein, a prominent financier, committed suicide in a federal detention center while facing charges of sexual trafficking and abusing dozens of underage girls, some as young as 14.

Giuffre claimed in her complaint against Andrew, filed on August 9, that she was “compelled by express or implied threats” from Epstein, his then-girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell, and Andrew himself. A photo of Giuffre, then Virginia Roberts, and Andrew, who has his arm around her waist, was included in the complaint.

According to the complaint, Andrew sexually abused her while “knowing that she was a sex-trafficking victim being forced to engage in sexual acts with him.”

Giuffre said in a statement to BuzzFeed News on the day the lawsuit was filed that she was finally “holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me.”

Source link

Subscribe to our NEWS Letter

Prince Andrew Served With Sexual Abuse Lawsuit Filed By Virginia Giuffre