2021-10-07 17:34:47 Ian Watmore steps down as chairman of England Cricket Board | News

Ian Watmore steps down as chairman of England Cricket Board | News

Watmore, who faced criticism for canceling a tour of Pakistan, resigned after less than a year in the position.

Following criticism of the decision to cancel a tour of Pakistan, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced on Thursday that chairman Ian Watmore was stepping down with immediate effect.

Watmore, 63, has reached a “mutual agreement” with the board to leave his position at the end of the domestic season after just over a year in the position. The ECB is normally appointed for a five-year term.

He was chastised for canceling the England men’s and women’s teams’ trip to Pakistan.

“I regretfully resign as chair of the ECB, but I do so in the interests of my own well-being and that of the game I love,” Watmore said.

“I was appointed to the post before the pandemic, but COVID has meant that the role and its time demands are dramatically different from all of our original expectations, which has taken a personal toll on me.”

“In light of this, the board and I believe the ECB will be better served by a new chair to lead it post-pandemic.”

Furthermore, Whatmore stated that he had recently retired from the Civil Service Commission after five years of service and had recently become a grandfather.

“I would now like to completely retire from work and enjoy our great game as a spectator,” he said.

Watmore, a former Football Association chief executive, will take over as ECB chairman in September 2020, following the retirement of Colin Graves.

The ECB’s deputy chair, Barry O’Brien, will take over in the interim, as the board announced that it would soon begin the process of appointing a new head.

Pakistan squabble

The ECB cancelled men’s and women’s white-ball tours to Pakistan scheduled for this month last month, citing “increasing concerns about traveling to the region” and player welfare.

It came just days after New Zealand canceled a tour of the country due to security concerns.

Pakistan accused an unidentified individual in India of sending threatening emails, prompting New Zealand to cancel its first cricket tour to Pakistan in 18 years.

The decision to cancel England’s first men’s tour to Pakistan since 2005 sparked outrage in the South Asian country.

In the aftermath of New Zealand and England canceling tours to Pakistan, the chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) lashed out at the “Western bloc,” saying they “used and binned” his country.

Former West Indies cricketer Michael Holding also slammed the ECB’s decision to cancel the tour of Pakistan, calling it “Western arrogance.”

“That signal conveys the same Western arrogance to me.” “I’ll treat you how I want to treat you, regardless of what you think; I’ll just do what I want,” Holding said on Wednesday.

The European Central Bank is meeting this week to decide whether the Ashes, which are scheduled to begin in December, can go ahead – concerns about player welfare and Australia’s strict coronavirus restrictions have led to fears that the tour will not take place.

However, reports indicate that positive discussions have taken place with Cricket Australia.

Source link

Other News

Subscribe to our World NEWS Letter

Ian Watmore steps down as chairman of England Cricket Board | News