How to unclog a shower drain with standing water – Standing water pools can attract insects, making your life difficult. Standing water makes clearing the clog more challenging, but you can often correct the clog yourself. What a drag! – Wow! – Can you think of a more gross way to spend your time than unblocking a drain. Luckily for you, here at Shower Eden we have solutions.
Page moved here from our other website “Shower Eden“
How to unclog a shower drain with standing water – Don’t use bleach.
Bleach will kill al the good bacteria. Enzyme-based drain cleaners will work better. Bleach will also weaken your pipes and shorten their life time.
Put on a pair of rubber gloves and clear the blockage from the drain. This means all visible debris, or debris you can feel under the standing water. This might by luck be enough to get the water draining, slowly at least.
Next use a plunger. Place the plunger over the shower drain and plunge in and out. Plunging actually works best in standing water (water above the plunger to help it seal). After vigorously plunging, you should see some debris or gunk (yucky stuff anyway) floating around in the standing water.
Plunging should almost definitely get the shower drain unblocked at least to a point where the water flows out even just a little bit. So wait for the standing water to drain out.
Remove Drain Cover and remove Clog by Hand if applicable.
How to unclog a shower drain with standing water by hand.
- First you need to remove the drain cover.
- Sometimes there is a screw in the middle that you have to take out.
- Other times you can pry the drain cover off using a screwdriver.
- Look inside the drain and locate the clog.
- Use a flashlight, if necessary.
- If the clog is within reach, pull it out with your fingers.
There might not be anything in reach to pull out. Then just continue with the rest of the steps in this article.
How to unclog a shower drain with standing water – Now the BOMB!
- Baking Soda
- 1 Cup of Vinegar
- Hot Water
- Pour a cup of water down your drain
- Put the half cup of baking soda down the drain
- Mix in the vinegar with your second prepared cup of water
- Pour in the vinegar/water mixture down the drain with the added baking soda – Things will begin to bubble/fizz, this is good, it means things are working!
- Cover the drain to allow the chemistry to take place between the vinegar and the baking soda
- Set the timer for 10 minutes to allow the formula to take care of your clog
- Pour another cup of boiled water down your drain to flush out the remaining clog
If you have tried all of the above and the shower drain is still blocked, then:
How to unclog a shower drain – Drain Unblocker Aerosol.
Drain unblocker aerosol id designed to powerfully inject compressed air into your shower drain and thus pressuring loose the blockage and effectively blowing it out. It clears clogged or sluggish drains in seconds without the use of harsh chemicals, acids, or lye.
Directions for using Drain Unblocker Aerosol for Blocked shower drains.
- Fill shower base with enough water to submerge can’s cap or use directly in standing water.
- Block overflow with damp rag or sponge and hold firmly.
- Place can’s cap over drain opening and press firmly for one second. Repeat if necessary.
Slow-Moving Shower Drains
1. Place stopper in drain.
2. Fill shower drain with 6-7” of water, remove stopper.
3. Block overflow with damp rag or sponge and hold firmly.
4. Place can’s cap over drain opening and press firmly for one second. Repeat if necessary.
If all of the above fails to unblock your shower drain then call a qualified plumber. A tip : Steal with your eyes : Carefully watch what the plumber does to alleviate the problem.