Learn how to create a website free of cost with domain name here at Strydom Web Development.
How to create a website free of cost with domain name
Looking to create a website, but don’t know where to start? Congratulations! You’ve come to the right place. On this website you’ll find everything you need to easily build a website from scratch, free or at an affordable price.
Here at SWB, we believe that online website builders are probably the best option for those who have no programming training, but want to get full control over the process of website creation. These web services let you focus on what really matters – your product/business, doing all the heavy lifting for you.
Using a website builder or CMS like WordPress is as simple as creating a social media account – just sign up, upload your content and start sharing.
Steps to create a website free of cost
With the help of website builders, you can create a website in a few simple steps.
- Acquire a free domain name.
- Choose a website builder according to your needs.
- Set up and customize the website.
Acquiring a free domain
Here are the 4 best ways to get a free (or almost free) domain name:
Option 1: Get a Free .Com with Web Hosting – Web Hosting Ninja
Option 2: Get a Free .Tk Domain Name
Option 3: Get a Free Subdomain from a Website Builder – Weebly
Option 4: Get a Free . CO . NF Domain Name – Biz
Best free website builders
There are several options available when it comes to website builders. It is important to understand the pros and cons of each and choose the most suitable one considering your requirements.
Wix How to create a website free of cost with domain name
Wix is a popular website builder that lets you create a website the way you want it without much effort. Whatever be your reason for creating a website, be it for promoting your business, or for starting an online store, even to create a blog, you can rely on Wix. It is relatively easy to get started with Wix. You can start by choosing a template from over 500 designer options, and start customizing your site according to your design needs. If you are not comfortable doing that, you can simply answer a few questions and a free site will be designed for you with the help of Wix ADI (Artificial Design Intelligence). Now, once you have designed a basic website, you can always add more features according to emerging requirements.
Basic steps to get started with Wix
- Sign up for Wix, a free website builder.
- Choose one of the available templates, or use Wix ADI to specify your design requirements.
- Use additional features to liven up your website.
- Develop your site as per your business needs. You can easily create a blog, eCommerce store, membership site or booking system using Wix.
- Leverage integrated marketing and SEO tools to get ahead of the competition.
- Extremely easy to create and maintain a website.
- Fully responsive and great attention to the mobile experience.
- Choice of apps and templates.
- Site performance and security settings.
- Ease of getting support.
- Having to deal with ads.
- Free templates might be inadequate for some.
- Lack of data export options.
WordPress.com is one of the easiest options to build a personal or business website. Compared to WordPress.org, it is much more easy to get started with WordPress.com. That is because you don’t have to worry about getting a hosting service. You will be able to get a custom domain name and access to several features when you opt for a pricing plan of WordPress.com. In addition, you will get access to over 350 themes to design your blog, portfolio or business site. As themes are responsive, you can easily create and modify a website using a device of your choice.
WordPress.com ensures your site is always secure with spam protection and automatic backups. In addition, you can find features like social media sharing buttons, SEO tools, and actionable analytics insights, to increase your audience base. You will also find a bunch of additional features like advanced galleries, email subscriptions, polls and several more. One of the major advantages of using this hosted solution over the self-hosted one is that you will get round the clock support over email and live chat.
You can opt to create a website free of cost using WordPress.com if you are fine with using a WordPress.com subdomain. To get support and other features, you can opt for a premium plan starting at £4 per month.
Basic steps to start with WordPress.com
- Register a domain name. If you already have a domain, you can easily point it to WordPress.com. You can also get a free domain with WordPress.com branding.
- Choose a suitable plan.
- Pick a theme and customize the design of your site.
- Add the required content to your site.
- Set up site access by creating a navigation menu.
- Publish your website or blog.
- Easy to get started.
- Comprehensive solution with hosting, domain name registration, feature extensions, etc.
- Versatile design options with several themes available.
- Automatic updates and backups.
- Dependable, round the clock customer support.
- Slightly pricier compared to other website builders.
- The free plan has ads and does not allow to install plugins.
- It might be tougher for new users to customize the design elements compared to drag and drop builders.
- Google Analytics integration available only with the Business plan.
- For WordPress.org users, the same control may not be there for overall site management.
Weebly How to create a website free of cost with domain name
If you are looking for a website builder that lets you scale effortlessly, Weebly might be the one. It offers a range of design options and tools to enable you to build a website easily. Even for beginners, it is quite comfortable as there are several starter guides and planning tools available to provide directions. Moreover, the drag and drop builder, along with several design features like image editor, video backgrounds, custom fonts, etc., make the site design a breeze.
Furthermore, you can easily set up an online store using Weebly as it offers seamless order management and fulfillment. You can easily find new users and acquire more customers with the help of integrated marketing tools available with Weebly. It also connects with Square to give you the flexibility to sell anywhere, online or offline with considerable ease.
Weebly offers a free plan, which you can use to set up a basic website. You will have to use a subdomain with Weebly branding if you are using this plan. If you want a custom domain name, Weebly offers plans starting from $5 per month. And to maintain an online store, you will have to opt for a plan starting from $12 per month.
Basic steps to start a website using Weebly
- Sign up for a plan of Weebly
- Choose a theme from the available templates.
- Register for a domain. You can use the Weebly subdomain if you want the free option.
- Edit the website using the drag and drop website builder.
- Go to the app center and choose the apps that you need.
- Publish your website.
- A great option for small businesses.
- Extremely easy to get started and configure.
- Availability of templates and apps.
- Great website performance and reliable security features.
- Guides to help you get good search engine ranking for your site.
- Competitive pricing
- Content management is not as smooth as some other solutions.
- Export options are limited.
- Adding advanced marketing tools can be a challenge.
The number one reason to use Ucraft’s free plan is that it allows you to connect your own domain name(ex: yourname.com).
Of course, you’ll still need to purchase a domain name— this is unavoidable and will cost approximately $15 annually— but the only other free website builder to let you connect to a custom domain name is Google Sites (and Google Sites isn’t going to be right for most people).
Otherwise Ucraft is a pretty solid free package: unlimited pages, Google Analytics, SSL and a decent free subdomain (yoursite.ucraft.net) if you don’t want to connect a domain name.
The biggest downside is the ad. Ucraft used to have a small ad— but they’ve enlarged it to a full-width ad that scrolls alongside visitors.
Basic steps to get started with Ucraft
- A free plan for the budget-minded
- Security and analytics come with every package
- Beautiful templates, especially for image-heavy websites
- Integration with Ecwid for e-commerce
- Nice blog tools
- Customer support options are limited
- Content blocks tend to look too much alike
- Some users may want more control over the design of their pages
- Not quite as easy to use as a true drag and drop website builder
Webflow is really powerful but has a learning curve. It’s not what I suggest if you’re looking for an easy to use website builder but it is what I suggest if you want flexibility.
The Webflow Designer gives you the flexibility of front-end coding without actually requiring you to code. You will need to understand the fundamentals of web design but it allows for far, far more design flexibility than any other free website builder.
Webflow also includes a CMS in the free plan. The CMS lets you create Collections, which are custom content types. Think of them like a customizable database— you could define an article collection, add articles and you’ll automatically get new pages for every new article.
Beyond that, Webflow includes a super small ad. It’s not very intrusive.
How to create a website free of cost with domain name index is found near the top of this page.
Navigating Webflow’s pricing plans can be confusing. You’ll want to sign up for their free Account plan and then choose the Staging plan for your free website.
I asked Webflow to confirm that the Staging plan could be used for publishing a website and here’s what they had to say:
I would think of it like this: Webflow is free until you want to have more than 2 projects, if you want to host a website on a custom domain, or if you want to export code from a project.
I take this as approval that the Staging plan is essentially a free plan.
Basic steps to start a website using Webflow
Webflow has very extensive free help course video material available here : Webflow Getting Started
- Code Export is nice. There’s a few decent templates.
- The components (tabs, forms, text, etc) are totally customizable as if you were coding. And the ability to create a dynamic website with ease.
- There is no coding involved, but you’re still free to create anything you want. You need a few hours to get used to the system, but once you know the basics it’s super easy.
- I like how WebFlow does all the coding for me, I don’t have to worry about it at all. I can play around with different designs fairly easily without the hassle of actually writing code.
- The hosting price is higher than other website builders.
- Hosting options are kind of confusing. Simplify them, please.
- I HATE the way they priced this service. It is SO expensive.
- I was a little unclear on pricing structure and it I need a new plan for each site, but I figured it out.
If you are looking for a simple website builder for your website, Sitebuilder can be one of the options you can consider. It offers all the basic features required to create a website for your business. You will get free hosting and a custom domain name when opting for a plan of this website builder. It offers customizable templates and a drag and drop interface that helps a lot in customizing the website.
How to create a website free of cost with domain name index is found near the top of this page.
You can easily create a blog, business site or eCommerce store using Sitebuilder. It also offers an option to create email addresses with your domain name. The website builder also integrates analytics options to help you understand site statistics and make improvements as and when required.
If you want a simple website, you can get started with a plan that costs $5 per month. To create and maintain an eCommerce site, you can use this website builder at a cost of $9 per month.
Basic steps to create a website using Sitebuilder
- Sign in to a plan of the site builder.
- Choose a base theme and make customization as required
- Choose a domain name.
- Publish your website.
- Very easy to get started. You can actually publish your site in a matter of few clicks using Sitebuilder.
- Simplicity and ease of use with drag and drop editor and basic features.
- Easy to customize templates.
- Long term pricing is not great.
- Only basic SEO and marketing features.
- Not a great option if you are intending rapid scaling up.
WebNode is a popular choice for both personal brands and professionals — it’s easy to use, and you can create a website in a different language or on a different platform to suit your business’s needs. WebNode supports ecommerce stores, and the sites are compatible with Android, Mac, and IOS devices. WebNode will provide statistics to track your site’s success, free of charge, and even with the free version, you won’t have ads.
Basic steps to create a website using WebNode
First step to create a brand new website in 1 minute is to register here Webnode
In registration process you will:
- Set the name of the website
- Use your existing email address
- Set your password
Second step is to choose the type (Website or Online shop) and a template.
If you choose a template for the website and later you want to add an e-shop, just activate the e-shop in your website you have already created – with one click
Third step is just a click on the “Choose template” button.
Fourth step – Wait for few seconds and you will see the Webnode Editor, which allows you to manage the content of your new website / e-shop.
Now you can just overwrite the predefined texts, and change the images.
- Easy user interface
- Free website option for simple websites
- HTML/CSS coding available
- Hundreds of basic templates to select from
- Inclusive Images and media
- Supports 20 languages
- Good search optimization
- Functional templates but not modern
- No direct newsletter options, but workarounds
- Not ideal for advanced blogging
- Separately priced domain names
- Pricing plans that are hard to sort through
Arguably one of the most flexible and easy-to-use builders, Site123 lets you customize anything and offers a one-click installation wizard with graphics and templates. Site123 stands out as particularly helpful with its free images library, professional fonts to add visual elements to your site, and creative DIY plans for creating multiple pages (which are unlimited). Plus, since it offers web hosting domain registration, 500 MB storage space, Google Analytics, and is ad-free, you won’t feel pressured to switch to a paid plan.
Basic steps to create a website using Site123
- Choose the right website type for you.
- Explore the Essential Features.
- Add Your Personal Content.
- Social Media & Contact Us.
- Manage Your Website.
- Connect Your Domain.
- Publish Your Website.
- Simplicity, ease of use, no coding and web design skills required;
- A rich choice of templates and nice customization tools;
- An opportunity to create many websites using one account only;
- Responsive templates;
- Availability of plugins and numerous options making it possible to work with different SEO parameters;
- Inappropriate range of settings for professional users;
- Too simple online shops and landing pages (but they are good enough for the most users);
- Parameters of free plan and some paid plans notably limit the opportunities to create a large functional website.
Setting up and customizing the website
I will create separate tutorials for each website builder platform mention here in this article “How to create a website free of cost with domain name”. So do come back and check for it.
For now you can have a look at this video to create a free websiet on Wix