2021-10-02 11:21:22 Duterte Says He Will Retire Rather Than Seek the Vice Presidency

Duterte Says He Will Retire Rather Than Seek the Vice Presidency

MANILA, Philippines— President Rodrigo Duterte of the Philippines announced on Saturday that he will retire rather than run for vice president next year, reversing a plan to keep him in national politics after his presidential term expires.

Presidents in the Philippines are limited to a single six-year term under the Philippine Constitution. Mr. Duterte, on the other hand, had announced his intention to run for vice president in the May election, and his former chief of staff, Senator Christopher Lawrence Go, was widely expected to run for president.

Mr. Go, on the other hand, declared on Saturday that he, not Mr. Duterte, would run for vice president. Mr. Duterte later raised Mr. Go’s hand in a show of unity.

Mr. Duterte stated that “in obedience to the will of the people, who after all placed me in the presidency many years ago, I now say to my countrymen that I will follow your wishes,” referring to opinion polls that indicated public opposition to his plan.

“I am announcing my retirement today. “I want to thank everyone,” he said. He made no indication that he intended to resign before the end of his term in June.

Mr. Duterte’s announcement appeared to open the door for his popular daughter, Sara Duterte-Carpio, who had previously stated that she would run for president only if her father dropped out. Manny Pacquiao, the Filipino boxer, has also declared his candidacy for president.

The International Criminal Court authorized a full investigation last month into Mr. Duterte’s bloody drug war, which has killed thousands of people since he took office in 2016. Mr. Duterte’s critics in the Philippines saw his plan to run for vice president with a close ally as president as a way to keep power and avoid prosecution.

Mr. Go once stated that he would serve Mr. Duterte “for as long as he lives.” On Saturday, he announced his candidacy for vice president in order to “continue the programs for real change initiated by President Duterte.”

Mr. Go made no apologies for the drug war, in which thousands have been killed by police officers and vigilantes, allegedly for drug dealing. “Let the public decide whether their children feel safer now that there are fewer addicts and crime on the streets,” Mr. Go said.

Source link

Other News

Subscribe to our World NEWS Letter

Duterte Says He Will Retire Rather Than Seek the Vice Presidency